Always a favourite place for us to tour to, we are delighted to return this summer to St Margaret of Antioch Church in the pretty village of Leigh Delamere near Chippenham. Audiences who joined us last summer for our performance of Rossini's L'Italiana in Algeri are in for a real treat, as we bring one of Rossini’s most famous, farcical comedies Il Barbiere di Siviglia (The Barber of Seville)!
Join us here on Friday 22nd July - performance starts at 7.30pm, with doors open 7pm.
Picnics beforehand in the garden of Leigh Delamere House (next door but one to the church).
Toilets are provided (trailer style) at Leigh Delamere House, with car parking available in the field opposite.
Tickets are priced £20-£40 to include £5 donation to Churches Conservation Trust and a glass of wine in the interval.
To purchase tickets, contact Mrs Harriet Tupper at Leigh Delamere House, Chippenham, SN14 6JZ, or email@example.com
Please note that step free access is not available at this venue - there are steps both at the church gate at the church entrance. Please contact Harriet Tupper (details above) for further information.
Advice: bring a cushion to sit on as pews are a bit hard!
A beautiful and historic church in the pretty village of Leigh Delamere. Built in 1846 on the site of a previous 12th-century church, it is dedicated to Margaret the Virgin. It has been designated by English Heritage as a Grade II* listed building, and is now a redundant church in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust. The previous church had been built around 1190, in an Early English style with some Norman features. By 1846 the church was in a dilapadated condition and it would have cost more to repair than rebuild. The new church was commissioned by Joseph Neeld and designed by James Thomson who also designed the nearby Grittleton House which is now Grittleton House School. The Gothic chancel, includes a reredos which is carved and decorated in many colours. The west window includes stained glass by Wilmshurst.